Wanna code faster and improve your productivity? So, you must know AWS CodeWhisperer!
In this post, I will explain to you what is the Amazon CodeWhisperer and give you a step-by-step on how to subscribe to the waiting list and how to configure your VS Code.
In addition to this blog post, you can watch my video, explaining everything on my Youtube Channel:
What is Amazon CodeWhisperer?
Amazon CodeWhisperer is a powered Machine learning auto-completion tool. In other words, this tool can help you in the day-by-day suggesting precise pieces of code to you. Helping you to code faster and improving your productivity.
Sometimes you forget some instructions, parameters, and so on, right?
At this moment, if you are using CodeWhisperer, this tool will suggest the code or the sentence to help you to remember what is the exact command or instruction.
This tool can work based on your code or at least in your comments in your code.
For example, if you type “create a route to the /about path”, CodeWhisperer will suggest you the correct code automatically. (Green code is a suggestion).
You can force the suggestion by pressing ALT + C, and checking the session “How to use it?”.
Amazon CodeWhisperer is a recent tool and is constantly evolving, so at this moment it is available only for:
- VS Code
- Cloud9 Browser
- Lambda Function Browser
At this moment (September 2022), CodeWhisperer is available for:
As this tool is a recent tool and it is still evolving, I know that AWS will improve it and increase IDEs and languages accepted.
Step-by-Step | How to subscribe to test this tool
To test this tool for free (It’s available until this blog publication – Sep 15th, 2022), you must subscribe to a waiting list to receive your activation code and use it.
Follow these steps to get your activation code:
Step-by-Step | How to setup it in your VS Code
In your VS Code you must follow the steps below to activate it:
- Install “AWS Tool kit” extension in your VS Code. (You can find it here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=AmazonWebServices.aws-toolkit-vscode)
- After that, click o AWS Icon in your left bar (Or wherever it is 🙂 )
- Under “Developer Tools” menu, select “CodeWhisperer (Preview)”
- Click on “Enter Preview Access Code”
- Enter the activation code that you received from the confirmation e-mail.
- Just check the Preview Terms and click on “Accept and Enable CodeWhisperer”
- Ready, your CodeWhisperer is ready to use!
How to use it?
But, there are a few features that you can try:
- To accept a suggestion: Press TAB
- To force a suggestion: Press ALT + C
- To not consider a suggestion: Press Escape or just keep typing
- To navigate between all suggestions: Use your arrow keys, left and right
Subscribe to my Youtube channel:
Youtube: Pena Rocks
Follow me on social networks: